Friday, November 14, 2008

Freestyle Friday-a "Stream of Consciousness" Post

I'm out of eggs, cereal, and milk...that means McDonalds for breakfast. What? You think that should have meant a 6:00am trip to the grocery store? Why would I do that when we can all load up in the car and make a pre-school-day trip to McD's? Its hubby's day off, and if he wants to take us to McD's...well, that's fine with me....except its not fine with me...McD's doesn't do too much positive for the weightloss efforts. Well, at least I didn't have potatoes, but that's not difficult, I don't really like fast food hashbrowns anyways. I like the hashbrowns they serve at sit-down breakfast places, those are yummy, especially with ketchup (catsup? *wink* to ...oh shoot, now I can't remember who posted about ketchup vs catsup this week...here I thought I was going to be all cute with my little fellow blogger reference. Oh well) But Fast Food hashbrowns..not so much. But back to McDonalds. We sat at the tall tables, a special treat for the kiddos, I'm always worried they'll fall off the seats of those high tables...which is only a small portion of why I haven't broken down and agreed with hubby that we really need a counterheight dining table. ( safety and expense being the primary reasons...that and I kinda like my shabby dining table...I think its cute, made cuter by its shabbiness...its so shabby it looks like its on purpose!) I was facing towards the front counter and noticed a father and daughter walk in. The father looked about our age, maybe a couple years younger. The daughter looked to be 9-ish...maybe a little older. It was apparent that she is ill. she had only about 1/3 of her hair, left long towards the back of her head. I was curious, but not upset by her appearance....until I saw her make a contribution to the Ronald McDonald House box on the counter. It was then that my heart swelled and bubbled up to my eyes, making my nose sting and my tongue clench the roof of my mouth. I don't think I've ever even put a penny in one of those boxes. I'm not against it, just never gave it any thought. Maybe next time I'll put my change in. Seeing a sick child make a contribution did something for me. In the meantime, tonight I get a spare-change date! We try to go out a couple of times a month, so its not like we never EVER get to go out or anything, but hubby's change cup is overflowing and he's taking it to cash in today and tonight we're going to the Movies! Quantum of Solace anyone? The last movie we saw together was Baby Mama at the dollar theater. I almost wish we were going to the dollar theater to see something there instead. I don't mind waiting to see things for cheaper. Although last time we did spy a rat running under the chairs...so I guess I'll let hubby treat me to a nice NEW theater tonight. I wonder what we'll have for dinner? We always go to Pei Wei cuz we love it and we can share a good meal for 20 bucks...but I'm in the mood for something different...maybe we can try the middle-eastern place with belly dancers! Then again...not so excited about belly dancers interrupting my meal. I do love middle-eastern food though...hmmm. Maybe we should save that idea for lunch during the week when there are no belly dancers hovering 'round. Question? Do the Belly Dancers expect tips like the Mariachi bands do? Are you supposed to load up on dollars before going someplace with belly dancers?
If so, do you put dollars in the waist of their pants? Would this be a precursor to giving my husband permission to go to "Christies?" (remember those gals?)...hmm, yeah, better save that for a weekday lunch...better not go down that road. Although he does have some funny stories about that kind of stuff. Fortunately they (allegedly...lol) all come from other people...like the two guys on the "downlow" who were complaining about the strippers not wearing any pants...what the? Gabe likes to say "what the?"...I don't know where he picked that up...I think one of his aunts says it alot...I think its funny, but it always takes me off gaurd when he walks by something and says "what the?"...but its better than what he used to say, like when he was 3-ish and he wondered what the hell that monster truck thought it was doing...or the time he told grandma (sitting next to him, trapped in the back of our car) "Sometimes I wipe my blood boogers on the window." *barf*...which is what we had the other night at midnight...BARF-O-RAMA!!! projectile...spread across a full 15 feet of my bedroom. Why do mom's always resort to bodily functions when they're out of things to talk about? Seriously...it can't be denied. Get a room of mothers together and before the night is through the 3p's (pee, poop, and puke) will have been addressed in full detail.

the end.

14 comments:

Brittney said...

I have never donated to the ronald mcdonald house either. Never even really noticed it. Until my friends baby got sick. In june they stayed there three weeks, this visit they have been there almost ten weeks. Last week when I went to Texas I stayed there with her for a week. IT is the most amazing program. I was brought to tears more than once. I will now donate. I am going to have the YW do service projects for them. It would be a great place for laurel projects and eagle projects. The program is huge. It is ten dollars a day to stay there. Lunch and dinner are provided by volunteers in the communtiy. The food was actually very good. There are washers and dryers provided. My friend is lucky that the house is in the parking lot of the hospital her baby is in. But it seviced a few hospitals in the area.
So that was longer than I meant it to be, but I was just so touched and amazed that I couldn't let it go. I now have a new charity of choice.

Kristina P. said...

Daniel Craig and I have a date tonight. Oh, and my husband too.

vanessa said...

your so random sometimes but it makes me laugh, cuz i actually could follow the train of thought! see you guys later!

Blog is my Co-Pilot said...

I think this post might ACTUALLY BE RANDOM!

Lara Neves said...

I am proud of myself for following that. My mind works just the same way, btw.

And, I hear Quantum of Solace is excellent. But haven't seen it yet. Have fun!

Whitney R said...

That's touching that that little sick girl donated to the Ronald McDonald House. I guess I just figure paying my tithing and fast offerings will give these people who really need it whatever it is they need. But next time I don't use the drive through I'll put some money in. I always give a buck when people ask me to when I'm checking out of somewhere and then they give you the clover or something to write your name on. I just love writing my name. :)

Yay for dates! And we should have gone to see that tonight! Maybe we still will... I'll ask Jaren when he get's home from driving 20 minutes into town to get me subway if he wants to drive right back in to see a movie. But it's one he'd totally want to see. SO maybe?

My word verification is sesup. Like ketchup. Catsup. sesup.

Jillene said...

I read your post and was so touched. Then you mentioned Daniel Craig and all was lost!! (0;

Anonymous said...

That plum wore me out!

Jen said...

Oh that's sooo sad about the sick girl putting money in the Ronald McDonald House box. Sort of reminds me of the Widows Mite story in the Bible. My cousin's 9 year old boy died last year of brain cancer. It was the saddest thing EVER, so it's always hard for me to pass those kinds of contribution boxes up. Hey, did you go to Quantum? I went tonight, too, with my hubby for our date. We loved it, but it got really confusing if you don't remember what happened in the last one that came out 2 years ago. Now i need to go back and re-watch the other Bond movie. Hope you had a great night!

Just SO said...

That was very touching about the girl giving her money to the RMH. I don't think I've ever put money in there either. I probably will now though.

And I'm not a big Bond fan. When you've seen one, you've seen them all. When they have the big marathons on Spike my hubby likes to watch them but he doesn't like me to watch them with him because I sit and make fun of the movies.

Did 007 survive last night. Let me guess. He did. Sorry if that's a spoiler for anyone.

Goob said...

Yes! we did go to see the movie...I didn't love it. I LOVED the last one, which was the very first Bond movie I enjoyed...this one made me remember why I don't enjoy Bond movies. Didn't hate it, just didn't love it.

Anonymous said...

We saw the Bond movie last night too. Eh. When It was over, I literally thought the words, "Well, at least THAT'S over ..." in my head. I then realized that watching it had become a chore, and all I really wanted to do was get home. The night got better after that.

Goob said...

admittedly, I checked out on several occassions during that one. I an just not an action flick chick

Vanessa said...

WHOA!