Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gabe's Glad Tidings-Or What a "Character!"





-I need to brag about my boy for a minute! Today he came home with an award! Not one of those, "its your turn to be special and by the end of the year everybody will have gotten an award"award, but an ACTUAL AWARD!~ To make it even better, it was a "Character Connects Us" award given for "demonstrating strong character." I am especially pleased with him because he struggles to make the best choices every day. He often loses the battle. BUT, he knows when he's made a poor choice and he owns his choices. I know that's why he received this award. Last week during parent teacher conferences, his teacher told me about a rough day when he had chosen to throw crayons through the air everytime she turned around. Finally, she turned to the class and asked "who is throwing the crayons." Before anybody needed to tattle, Gabriel raised his hand, said "It was me" and then asked "Where should I take my thinking minute?" I love my boy, even when he's naughty, but I am so pleased that he received recognition for the times that he does the right thing...even if the right thing is admitting the thing he did wrong.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it can actually take more courage to fess up to what you've done wrong than to make that correct choice. (A big plug for making the right choice to begin with, in my mind!) But, good for Gabe! That's being a man.

Erin said...

That is really great - the fact that he will admit the truth, even when it hurts. Good for him, and good for you!

Kristina P. said...

What a great award! He looks so proud.

Jillene said...

Aaaawwww....it sounds like his parents are some GREAT people who teach him to make good choices!!

Hartson family said...

Sounds like our Gabe. We miss him so much. Though having some of their hand-me-downs reminds us of them both. I just love his Naughty Boys Rule grey skull shirt with red hooded jacket. But no one, even my Carley will ever do the yellow dress justice like Lily did!

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

I ♥ Gabe so much! He is hilarious and JUST LIKE his daddy. WAY TO GO with your award Gabe! Tell him (for future ref.)it is not a wise idea to spray bleach on his sis's sweater while "playing" with said sister. Not sure that ever HAPPENED but, it's just a good idea NOT to. Ask J if that ever happened.
BTW- please check our post for your whole family today!!! We are thinking of you and your whole families sacrafices.

Jen said...

How wonderful! Congrats Gabriel. And even better to own up to it. That takes courage! Bravo.

Whitney R said...

You should be proud of him for speaking up! That's a great quality to have.

Just SO said...

That is awesome Gabe!!