Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pomegranates-Thanksgiving Inspiration

While these lovely fruits are enjoying a hay-day of popularity for their sweet-tart, crisp, jewel toned "seeds" chances are good (unless you are from Southern Nevada, or share an ancestor in common with me) you have never had Pomegranate Salad. Sure, you may have thrown some pomegranate seeds on a green salad, and I would never discourage you from doing so...but you've probably never had THE pomegranate salad.

In my family, Thanksgiving is just NOT Thanksgiving, unless a Pomegranate Salad has been prepared. Last fall, I submitte the recipe to Better Homes cooking website called Better Recipes and it earned 5 count 'em 5! stars! (out of 5 possible, thank you very much).

Here is the recipe.


Pomegranate Salad

4-6 granny smith apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1 whole pomegranate, seeded
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Whipped cream or whipped topping

Method
Combine apples, raisins, pomegranate seeds and nuts. Gently fold in whipped cream or whipped topping (the amount of the cream or topping will vary based on the size of apples and pomegranates. used, use enough to make the ingredients stick together).

Notes: Our family has enjoyed this unique salad for at least 4 generations. The sweet-tart combination of fruit and cream is the perfect accompaniment to the rich flavors of any Thanksgiving dinner. This salad doesn't keep well, so enjoy it all at once.

Number of Servings: 6-8

12 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Look at your cute pomegranate background!

I love pomegranates. We will sometimes buy the juice and mix it with Sprite. Delicious!

Just SO said...

I don't think that I've ever had pomegranates. I just saw a segment on the Today show about them the other morning.

I did however try the Pomegranate 7up or Sprite that came out last year during the Holidays. YUM! Hopefully it will be released again this year.

*MARY* said...

My family has a couple pomegranate trees at their house. They get so many this time of year they have to juice them. I'll tell them about this recipe.

Jillene said...

Mmmmmmmm....YUMMY!! I am trying this recipe!! Thanks for sharing!!

Whitney R said...

I haven't ever tried a pomegranate before. But I really want to now! Do you only use the seeds?

Goob said...

yes Whitney,you only use the seeds. The skin and pith are very weird and papery and bitter, they would not be tasty at all! The pomegranate is a little difficult to seed, make sure and wear an old shirt or apron, the juice will stain big time. I did see (at Costco? Maybe?) somebody had just the seeds for sale prepackaged. They were expensive, but I'm thinking possibly worth the price.

Erin said...

They are a pain in the behind to peel to find the seeds, but they sure are yummy! That recipe looks delish.

Jen said...

I love pomegranates, but haven't had the salad. Sounds yummy. Pomegranate drinks are thee best!

Unknown said...

I have had THE salad, and I love it! We got one the other night and ate it, the kids loved it.

BUT you have never had a pomegranate until someone from Italy gives it to you as you are leaving a small town resturaunt and reminds you it is a sympbol of hospitality and friendship ( and came off the tree in their yard.) Yummm, now that is a fruit!

Goob said...

Ramona, you are now only the 2nd person I have EVER met who knows THE salad...wherever did you learn of it? ( you say you "got" one the other night, please do not tell me this is something that is being made in a grocery store now...)

Oh, and way to rub it in that I've never been to Italy! LOL

I also like to serve just the seeds with some dates, goat cheese, hummus, flat-breads and almonds on Christmas day. Just another little way to think of Christ by eating some of the foods he probably ate during his life.

Anonymous said...

Um, I hope that's four generations on Chris's side, because I've never even heard of this.




I knew it--you all HATE me!

Goob said...

YEp Mina, it was my granpa Crayton's mother's recipe! They lived in Southern Nevada where Pomegranates grow plentifully. I think this is the ONLY recipe my mom makes that comes from my dad's side of the family. You really should try it, it is SO delicious!