Friday, January 9, 2009

Calorie Dense AND Healthy

These two things are difficult to acheive but those of us who have skinny little kids who are constantly being pushed pedia-sure by pediatricians ( I swear they get a cut) know that for some people its an important combo.

Here's a little something we came up with that the kiddo's in question LOVE. ( Us adults steer clear of it, WAY clear!) It is calorie laden, nutrient rich, and has lots of protein for growing little bodies. The best part? Its embarrassingly easy.

You need oatmeal -real oatmeal, not the instant kind
Honey or brown sugar
and Peanut Butter ( natural peanut butter not only tastes best but has the best nutrition in it)

cook your oatmeal, serve it up, give each kid a small spoonful of brown sugar or honey and a LARGE HEAPING spoonful of peanut butter. Stir it up till its smooth and creamy and delicious. If your kid likes milk in their oatmeal, go ahead and add milk to it.

Its not pretty, so no pictures, but I've read a few posts recently about kiddos who can't keep weight on, or who have been sick and have lost weight, so I just wanted to share a breakfast we've had great success with.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This sounds so good! I Love peanut butter.

Just SO said...

I've been lucky with kids who are a good healthy weight. I don't know if they would eat that. My kids aren't big oatmeal fans. Hmm...

Anonymous said...

This does sound good. #2 today was nursing sore teeth from an ortho adjustment yesterday, and did that only with maple syrup instead of PB. Had I thought of that, I'd have tried to steer her that direction. Good idea.

Lara Neves said...

I have one child who might benefit from this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This actually sounds pretty good! My two yr old still loves the tasteless Gerber baby food oatmeal. Yuck! but he loves it. I mix a big bowl of that with warm milk and some applesauce and he thinks he is in heaven.

Erin said...

Thank you for this! I have a child who won't eat oatmeal, but he adores peanut butter, so I'm going to give it a try.

heather said...

This sounds like something worth a try for ME!

Brittney said...

the need for this is beyond me, I worry constantly I'm giving to many calories. If one more person tells me Boston is the fattest kid they have ever seen I;ll punch them. He is not fat

Jillene said...

This is awesome!! My girls are both under-weight and when they get sick--oh my. They both love oatmeal and peanut butter so this will be a new staple in my house!! Thanks!!