Thursday, October 23, 2008

Halloween Scream

Halloween just hasn't been the same since 1984. That was the year I was 12. That was also the year my mother decided 12 was too old to go trick-r-treating! To this day, that is one rule I just don't agree with. Now, 16, 17, 18, yep, too old. Go find something better to do. Adult? Grandma? You bet I've got a pack of raisins for ya! But 12? I was heart broken. I just couldn't believe I wouldn't be allowed to accompany my 3 siblings on the annual candy-grab.
That may actually have also been the year I insisted on being a (get this) DRUID for halloween. What the heck does a druid look like? To me, it was alot like a goth ghost....It involved an old white sheet from a recycled Angel costume, safety pins turned into jewelry and dark eyes. I'm really not sure why safety pins were involved, but I do remember they were a key component to actually being an unmistakable druid and not being taken for a ghost ( a ghost was so childish). I'm turning red with embarrassment as I type this, and suddenly I find it perfectly clear as to why I was not allowed to Trick-r-treat that year...
***I just have to add this little peice of weirdness! My counter hit 1984 for my post about 1984. Spooooooooooky.....LOL

11 comments:

Jillene said...

Aaaawwww....I went trick-or-treating when I was 12. I think that I stopped after that but my parents left it up to me.

A druid--with saftey pins and all--I remember the saftey pin as jewelry thing--VERY cool!!

Anonymous said...

Can you believe we get some adults Trick-or-treating down our neighborhood? It's ridiculous. I will probably have to write a post about that!

Unknown said...

I went trick or treating easily up to 14 or so. We usually, at this point, put on a robe and a mask so neighbors didn't know how old we were...

I remember going with my best friend Jenny, at the time, and we had a goal to get a ton of candy. Then, we would have sleepovers for the next 5 or 6 weekends and eat it all night. I loved being a kid!

Goob said...

Mommy Madness, We always had adults tick-r-treating in our neighborhood growing up and my mom still gets them. She always has a stash of raisin boxes to give anybody that is a: taller than her, or b: clearly a parent or grandparent. You should see the dirty looks she gets when she hands the kids snickers bars and the parents raisins! LOL

Goob said...

Oh,and that's in San Diego, must be a theme.

Brittany Marie said...

My mom used to make me trick-or-treat with a group of candy-deprived sisters from the neighborhood. (They would ration their candy to make it last for the whole year.) When we would go out they would want to hit every house in our huge neighborhood. Then they'd want to go into another neighborhood and get every. single. house. there as well. That is hard to do in princess shoes.

By the time I was old enough to keep up with them, I was too old to trick-or-treat. Ironic.

Erin said...

12 was my cutoff year too. My mom had a neighbor dad take us out when I was 11, and "made" us go trick-or-treating until we were so sick of it we begged to go home. Not so surprisingly, I was not even interested to go the following year!

Kristina P. said...

I think that as long as someone comes to my door in full costume, they should get candy.

Of course, no one ever comes to our door, but hypothetically.

Whitney R said...

I think I trick or treated till I was 13. I'm letting my kids go until they are old enough to look too old. lol. I know some 16 year olds that can get away with it.

I could probably get away with it!!!

Anonymous said...

My oldest still goes. That may last a while. (She still believes in Santa, too, but only because if she thought there was no Santa, she'd be SURE to tell the little ones.) I don't know about next year. She'll be in 9th grade. Although I went with my friends even into HS. Very few people seemed to mind.

Vanessa said...

12 was my last year too. And when I dressed up the next year to go out, I got the look of death from my mom.