Friday, October 10, 2008

Well, good thing that didn't take long.

On September 23rd, I applied for a new driver's license in my new state of residence. The application required the usual personal information plus my SSN. I registered to vote at the same time as I applied for my new license.

Interestingly enough, I received a letter in the mail yesterday thanking me for applying for a credit card I did not qualify for. A Credit Card? I didn't apply for a credit card. My husband did not apply for a credit card...hmmm. When did I apply for a credit card?

Apparently "I" applied for a credit card on September 23rd.

I've been here 6 months. Nothing like this has happened until the same day I applied for a drivers license and registered to vote. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Follow up- *yes, I did make angry phone calls...which turned into me making a jerk of myself.
Read below for the explanation on that.

*as it turns out, it was NOT the DMV, but it was my dentists office...applying for credit for me to make payments on dental work. They had me sign something, but I had no idea they were running a credit report or applying for credit! grrrrr. The kicker is, they applied for the credit, when they have the ability to split payments in house without involving credit. Why did they not offer that? I suppose its a "business decision"...Ie: they make money from the credit company if they qualify you for credit instead of just offering splitting your payments. Oh well. I will say this, my dentist himself was pretty good and kept me giggling with songs like "Oompa-Loompa-Doopity-Dawesome, that Filling turned out Totally Awesome"

9 comments:

Jillene said...

That is CRAZY!! You can get credit cards here even if you are a shoe!! My friend had a baby and turned in all of the paperwork--including SSN and 1 week later she received a credit card for said baby!! What the?!

Kristina P. said...

That is so scary. Good thing you at least got a letter telling you.

Erin said...

That's out of control. Luckily you don't have someone rifling through your mailbox, because someone could have taken the credit card and you would have never known. Have you made any angry phone calls yet?

Brittany Marie said...

Holy crap!

Anonymous said...

That's crazy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, any more questions about why we are in a finacial crisis?

Whitney R said...

Yikes. I get nervous about things like that happening.

Did you cancel it?

Whitney R said...

wait, dumb question. Of coarse you canceled it.


Right?

Erin said...

I'd be getting a new dentist right away. Hey, what about Glenn Beck? Or Tyra Banks? (That is, if we don't use them as write-ins for president.) Thanks for suggesting them on my last post :)